Auditions for our 2020/2021 season
To comply with the current social distancing directives, and to ensure the health and safety of both musicians and staff, the OSYO is adjusting our audition process for the upcoming year. Auditions will be conducted via submitted video (instructions below). We recognize that this process is not ideal, but it will be consistent throughout the season (both spring and fall auditions this year).
- Musician completes the online registration form HERE
- Musician uploads their audition video by June 30, and sends the $30 audition fee by EMT to email@example.com
- Auditions are adjudicated remotely after June 30, 2020
- Musician receives possible acceptance and position in the OSYO
- If successful, Musician submits the registration form and fees, and is welcomed into the OSYO!
- State your full name, your grade and school in Sept. 2020
- State the ensemble for which you are auditioning
- List titles of the all the pieces/scales you plan to perform
- Perform all your selections without pausing the video recorder.
- When you are finished with your audition performance, please announce that you have reached the end of the submission, restate your name.
The audition request process is not complete until the OSYO receives the audition fee of $30 (payable by EMT to firstname.lastname@example.org) , which is non-refundable. Audition results will not be released until the forms and audition fee have been received.
- One solo piece of musician’s choice (not to exceed 1 minute)
- One Major OR one Minor 3 octave scale of musician’s choice (minimum 3 sharps / 3 flats). Scale should be memorized.
- Download and prepare TWO of the excerpt requirements for your instrument (see below)
- Violin: 3 octave G or C major or minor (choice of harmonic or melodic)
- Viola: 3 octave C major or minor scale (choice of harmonic or melodic)
- Cello: 3 octave C or D major or minor scale (choice of harmonic or melodic)
- Double bass- 2 octave G major or minor scale (choice of harmonic or melodic)
- 1 Solo piece minimum Suzuki/RCM grade 4 level (1-2 minutes max)
- There is no excerpt required
- Open to violin, viola, cello and double bass
Violin: two octave C or G major or minor (harmonic or melodic)
Viola: two octave F or G major or minor (harmonic or melodic)
Cello: two octave D or G major or minor (harmonic or melodic)
Bass : one octave G major or minor (harmonic or melodic)
- 1 solo piece minimum Suzuki/RCM grade 2 level (1-2 minutes max)
- There is no excerpt required
- Open to violin, viola, cello, double bass.
- Musicians should have at least 1 full year experience with their chosen instrument
- One octave major or minor scale of musician’s choice
- 1 polished piece demonstrating top level performance
- Open to flute, piccolo, clarinet, bass clarinet, oboe, bassoon, english horn, saxophone, trombone, trumpet, french horn, baritone, euphonium, tuba and percussion
2020/21 Fee structure:
- Sinfonia: $550
- Philharmonia: $850
- Youth Band: $700
- Symphony: $925
- Musician registration for the season
- Musicians retreat
- 3 tickets for each of our 3 concerts for your family
- Musician +1 ticket to our year end celebration
- OSYO T-shirt
- OSYO Music bag
- Use of OSYO Music folder for the season
There are a number of families who have multiple musicians in the OSYO. The following fees should be added to the registration cost for your OLDEST child:
- Oldest child + 1 musician in Sinfonia, add $225
- Oldest child + 2 in Sinfonia, add $450
- Oldest child + 1 in Philharmonia, add $475
- Oldest child + 2 in Philharmonia, add $925
- Oldest child + 1 in Philharmonia and 1 in Sinfonia, add $700
- Oldest child + 1 in Youth Band, add $375
- Oldest child + 1 in Symphony, add $550
For example, if your oldest child is in Philharmonia ($850), and you have a second child in Philharmonia and a third child in Sinfonia (add $700), your total amount due is $1550.
Each additional musician from the same family will receive an OSYO t-shirt, music bag and music folder.
All fees are due by Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at the latest. This year, we will only be accepting registration payment by email money transfer.
Fees should be paid by email transfer to: email@example.com. Please be sure to enter your child’s name in the comment line.
A limited number of Bursaries are available. To apply for a partial bursary, please fill out the form HERE. Once completed, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon acceptance into the OSYO, all musicians will receive a copy of our musicians handbook and be asked to sign our code of conduct. Click here to view. All parents and volunteers are asked to abide by our community code of conduce found HERE.
The OSYO can’t function well without the support of our great parent volunteers. We ask that each season, one parent from each family will act as a parent monitor and snack provider for one Tuesday rehearsal (for the orchestra your child is enrolled in). Schedules are emailed at the beginning of the season. In addition, we ask for volunteer assistance with concerts/special events and/or rehearsals throughout the season.
Parents are also required to attend the Annual General Meeting, date TBA at King’s Christian Collegiate during rehearsal. At this meeting, our board members and operating budget are confirmed.
Music Stands: Each musician is required to bring a music stand to each rehearsal, as well as every concert/event. We strongly recommend a sturdy metal stand, as they are much more stable than the collapsible wire stands. Examples are the Manhasset Model 4801, or Wenger Classic 50
Due to the fact that the orchestra has many prepaid costs prior to the beginning of the season (based on enrollment), there will be an administration fee of $100 assessed if a musician withdraws prior to the second rehearsal.
Unfortunately, we can not issue any refunds if a musician chooses to withdraw at any time after the second rehearsal.
Contact our Executive Director, Alan Montgomery, at ( email@example.com) if you have any questions regarding the audition process.
King’s Christian Collegiate
528 Burnhamthorpe Road West